Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Food Allergies

In a couple of weeks it will be one year that we found out that my little bug #3 had food allergies. Not just one food allergy, but multiple. We found out that he was allergic to tree nuts, peanuts, dairy, egg, and even green peas. I have numerous friends that have children with the peanut allergy so I heard what an ordeal it was. I didn't truly understand until I had a child of my own. Going to the grocery store now takes more time because I have to read every label. Has anybody ever truly looked at the ingredients to see how many things have dairy in it. Especially snack foods. I am finding it such a chore to find new and inventive things for him to eat for lunch and dinner. So if anybody out there is in the same boat, PLEASE PLEASE comment.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there - yes, I know your pain, and I'm only dealing with peanut and fish allergies. The worst part is dealing with people who just can't believe it's that serious.

One resource I've found to be invaluable are these discussion boards:

http://www.peanutallergy.com/bbpage.htm

Although it was originally aimed at peanut allergies, there are a lot of families dealing with multiple food allergies. I find the message boards on manufacturers, recipies and schools especially helpful.

Sisters with Style said...

It is amazing to me how many people don't seem to understand the seriousness of food allergies. I mean these children can actually die if these foods are ingested. I have found this web-site to be informative it is www.foodallergy.org.

susan said...

hello! i have been trying to find a food allergy blogging mom and so glad that a friend let me to you! our first and only child (now almost 2)was diagnosed with egg, peanut and tree nut allergies in august of 2006. we had just been transferred to the dominican republic on business when we began to detect the symptoms and had to return home to Kentucky as they don't even sell epipens down there! i am always open to tips and support as it is definitely a life changing event! take care!

susan said...

sorry. my address is livesimplysothatwemaysimplylive.blogspot.com

Sisters with Style said...

I know it's tough with children with allergies--it's nice to be able to talk to others. I'll be blogging soon about this subject and I hope to read more on your blogg! Have a great day!

DebbieDo said...

My sister’s son had a dairy allergy. He has recently grown out of it, he is 4 now. I know it was a lot of trouble for her with food shopping. I remember him eating soy cheese and of course soy milk. In the summer she makes frozen soy cups for him so he can have "ice cream". But they do have soy ice cream now too.

Oh and for his school my sister either needs to be the one to bring in the snack or her son needs a special snack that he needs to bring in.

It's tough but hang in there.

~Debbie