Monday, May 7, 2007

I'm A Horrible Mom!!!

By now most of you know that I have a little guy with extreme food allergies. Well today my two younger kiddos and myself went to the grocery store. If you are like me it would be a luxury to just go to the store by yourself. Some days I'm blessed to have this and on other days, like today I am not. The one thing I thought I had going for me was that I didn't have that many things on my list. However, we all know what that turns into, a cart full of nothing you really needed.

After a half eaten bag of gummy bears we finally made it over to the food area. Wouldn't you know it bug #3 is starting to get antsy. What can I give him to tide him over till we leave? I know Pringles, he loves Pringles. I grab 3 cans of the reduced fat Pringles, which by the way has changed their packaging, and I open one of the cans. We are almost finished with our shopping excursion when I look down at bug #3's face and see hives all over his mouth. Oh shit, what has he touched? Still not thinking that it was anything that his own mom had given him anything, I frantically replay the last hour. Then I look closely at my little bug #3's shirt and hands and see cheese. Who in their right mind would give a child who is deathly allergic to dairy? It was me I'm the culprit!! There is no excuse for what I did I just wasn't paying attention and grabbed a can of the cheesy Pringles instead of the original. Thank goodness he only paid with a few hives around his mouth and not a trip to the ER.

This was a lesson to me that I need to slow down and not be in such a hurry all the time. It not only makes me crazy, but my kiddos are affected as well. A hard lesson to swallow in these chaotic times, but a lesson none the less.

15 comments:

tommie said...

Yikes! Glad he was okay. Do you carry Benydryl with you??

I am surprised mine don't have food issues. I have nut allergies and it is a pain.

tulipmom said...

Oh boy. Thank goodness he was okay. I'm afraid I'd be a nervous wreck if my son had allergies that serious. You sound so calm and in control ... all signs of a GOOD mother.

k e r r y said...

That's a little scary! Don't feel like a bad mom though - tulipmom is right - you remained calm and you handled the situation!!

Kimba said...

Don't be so hard on yourself, they are the ones who changed the packaging, they should know better!

happy he's better! :)

Sisters with Style said...

Actually I do carry Benadryl with me at all times. However, this time it was in the car. He got a dose of it as soon as we made it to the car.

CG said...

Oh no! I'm glad that it didn't hurt him too bad. We all do stuff like that. Don't feel bad.

Libby said...

I'm glad he's okay. I'm right there with Tulipmom, you figured out what was going on and you kept your cool, that sounds like good mothering to me.

hqm said...

In our house when we screw up we say..."Mistakes were made!' It is basically our way of saying we messed up and feel really bad about it! Then the other knows you need a hug, a drink, whatever!
We all make mistakes...let yourself off the hook.
YOur little boy is fine!!

Meg said...

I can sympathize with you. When I'm moving through the day too fast, it's my kids who seem to pay for it. Then I feel terrible and resolve to slow down! It's a never ending cycle. Glad your son is Ok.

SLC said...

Oh goodness! I couldn't imagine It has to be so difficult to remember all of those details. Glad he's okay.

navybluegirl said...

Oh my goodness. How scary! We are lucky not to have food allergies around here...

Don't feel like a bad mommy, although I totally know what you mean when you think you are. Like the time we were at a friend's house and I heard my keys jingle. So I turned around to see my eldest, then 13 mos, trying to stick them in the outlet. I dove, scarpping up my knees and saved him. I felt like the worst mommy ever.

Anonymous said...

If that's the worst thing you do on accident, count yourself lucky! I'm glad it all turned out ok.

Just visiting from tommiea's

Head Hen said...

I'm sure you were terrified. Let yourself off the hook--it was such a crazy mistake. I'm so happy to hear that #3 is okay. Poor little one!

Head Hen said...

BTW, I would have totally ran to the med isle and used the grocery's Benydryl! We're not above using as we go in the grocery--but I always shop with cash AND an empty credit card so we won't get to the register and have to work for our super! :)

SuburbanMom said...

Ooh, I'm glad he was OK. Don't be hard on yourself...we're all frazzled, it comes with the territory :)