Monday, June 18, 2007

We're Back!!!

We had such an incredible time at the beach. In fact, we have decided that we are definitely a beach vacation kind of family. I have already started researching Gulf Shores and Destin, FL. So if any of you guys have visited these places I would love some feedback. There are just so many choices and locations to choose from.

The highlight of my kids vacation was going to the beach at night to hunt for sand crabs. I thought my little girl would be reluctant in picking up these critters. However, she proved me wrong when she was the 1st one to pounce on one. One night I didn't go down to the beach for their adventure. Instead I had a little cocktail on our balcony. It looked like every kid on the island was down on the beach looking for sand crabs. All you could see were flashlights and screaming was an every few minuetes occurence.

One evening we went to this little restaurant overlooking the gulf. The best part of the whole evening was when they put on a little fireworks show out in the water. It was really pretty to see the fireworks rain down into the water. After the show I asked my kids if this could take the place of 4th of July fireworks. I didn't have any takers on this propisition.

You know you have done something right when your kids say "this is the best vacation ever!! Thank you daddy for bringing us."

So for you guys who have ever been to Destin or Gulf Shores let me know. I would love to hear from you.

13 comments:

Libby said...

Sounds like lovely vacation- that night on the balcony must have been just perfect!

Melissa said...

I live very close to Gulf Shores and have also visited Destin. If you have any specific questions email me and I will help if I can!

tommie said...

I am going to Freeport this summer. It is south of Houston. We rent a beach house there right on the shore. It even has its own private beach! I can't wait!

I have a friend that goes to Destin, I can get some great info from her....we are going to lunch tomorrow.

tulipmom said...

So glad to hear you all enjoyed your vacation. It all sounds wonderful.

Meg said...

wonderful!! I can so relate to being a "beach person" as well...if not on vacation, than all the time!

Glad to hear you had such a great time away.

hqm said...

Glad you enjoyed your beach vacation! Sounds like you could be turning into beach bums!

Tres Poshe Preppy said...

So glad you had a nice vacation!

Monogram Momma said...

I do not reccomend Destin. It is VERY crowded and commercial. It is fine for a grown-up trip, but there are SO SO many much prettier, cleaner, and unspoiled beaches.

Head Hen said...

If you want a kid-friendly, calm vacation then Gulf Shores and Destin are NOT it. They are very touristy (air brush places, hermit crab stores, bikini warehouses, etc.). If you want to be in that area but want something more secluded, try Fort Morgan. You can rent a house down there and it's a little more peaceful. We haven't been there in years so research it before you go. Fort Morgan Realty was what we used back then. Good luck!

There ARE outlets (Foley) there and Waterville USA waterpark if you end up going...

AND if you DO go to Gulf Shores do not, I repeat, do NOT miss Sea-n-Suds seafood (family) or the Pink Pony (adults). They are classics.

Anonymous said...

May I ask the name the of restaurant with the fireworks? We are headed to SPI in a few days. Any other recs on the island?

Thanks!!! Scarlett

Sisters with Style said...

LoneStarScarlett
Definitely go to AmberJacks on Friday evening because that is when they do the fireworks. There is another good restaurant on the Bay side. I can't remember the name, but it is across the street from the water park.

I would recommend going to the Sea Turtle Rescue too. My kids really liked that.

Sand Crab hunting at night is a must too.

Midwest Nest said...

Welcome back! Sounds like a great time.

Head Hen said...

Oh, and I totally forgot the FloraBama--how could I forget THAT! To the FloraBama and the Pink Pony totally wear the grimest clothes you have. They are Redneck all the way but even the posh go when they want to slum it. Do I have to say Mullet Toss? :)

When at the beach... :)