Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Auction Project

Friday night is our auction for my two older bugs school. A few months ago I got talked into helping with my older sons class project. There are two other 1st grade classes so I wouldn't be doing the whole thing by myself so I figured what the heck. The other two moms and I are new to the school so we really wanted to WOW them with the 1st grade project. Needless to say this wasn't going to be too difficult considering that last year each class did a platter. We decided that we would do a mirror. Not just any old mirror, a very whimsical mirror. We had an area pottery store make, by hand, tiles to fit around a 16x20 frame. Then we had her make 24 flowers for each child in the class. I must say these were the most intricate looking flowers I have ever seen. Her attention to detail was outstanding! The pictures below do not do her flowers justice. We also had her make a handful of leaves to place around the mirror. Next, we took all the flowers up to the school and had each child paint a flower. They had such a good time. I was amazed at how each child really took their time. We were afraid that a few would just slop the paint on. We were, needless to say, pleasantly surprised. After we took the flowers home and touched up a few we took them back to the pottery store to have them fired and glazed. The past two days I have been gluing the tiles on the front of my frame and placing the flowers on top of the tiles. We were really worried about how we were going to make each of these stick. The tiles were not a big deal we just used liquid nails for this. This stuff definitely did the trick. The flowers were a little more tricky. We used a glue called E-6000. If you ever need to glue ceramic on top of ceramic use this stuff.

I must mention that the tiles for the 3 mirrors are entirely different. As you can see, mine was fashioned off of Mackenzie-Childs the Courtly Check pattern. The 2nd one has a zebra print on the tiles. The last one painted her frame white and then painted her tiles black to give it a harlequin look. We really wanted them to be the same, but have that hint of individualilsm. I'll try to post pictures of the other 2 sometime.

I'll keep you informed on how much we raise for each mirror.






































4 comments:

CG said...

Wow!!! That is gorgeous!!! Was it as fun to make as it looks?

Sisters with Style said...

I really enjoyed doing this project. I hope it doesn't go too high at the auction. If it does I will totally be doing it with my own kiddos.

WSU Laura said...

What a great idea! And they are so cute. I am going to use your idea for our auction next year. Thanks.

SLC said...

What a great project! I hope it brings in lots of $$ for the school.